UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
Mathematics underpins much of modern world and is fundamental to science, technology, business and finance. In the BSc Applied Mathematics programme you will study essential mathematical topics as well as a range of different applications. The programme emphasises versatile mathematical modelling techniques and offers a wide selection of optional modules, allowing you to follow your individual interests and career plans.
Through studying mathematics you will acquire highly flexible skills that will last a lifetime, including strong analytical abilities, problem-solving skills and an appreciation of the importance of logical reasoning. You will also develop computational proficiency and learn how mathematical modelling can be used to analyse real-world problems. These skills are vital to many industries and are highly sought-after by employers.
Why should I study Applied Mathematics at XJTLU?
- Join a vibrant learning environment of around 700 undergraduate students
- Learn from expert mathematicians, trained in globally respected universities and engaged in research on a diverse range of topics
- Gain experience in mathematical modelling and see how mathematics can be used to make an impact in the world
- Enjoy the flexibility to choose modules to suit your individual interests from different application areas of mathematics, including finance, statistics and physics
- Get the chance to undertake the Visiting Study Abroad Programme to study in the USA during Year Three at the prestigious Michigan State University
- Benefit from XJTLU's location in the Suzhou Industrial Park, where there are opportunities to undertake internships at a variety of multinational companies and financial and technological institutions
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from BSc Applied Mathematics, you will have:
- a solid understanding of the core areas of mathematics including analysis, linear algebra, differential equations and statistics
- the ability to reason clearly and critically, and to construct mathematical arguments
- the ability to analyse a mathematical problem and select appropriate tools to solve it
- the ability to construct and assess mathematical models for real-world problems
- research experience gained through the completion of a final year research project
- the ability to communicate mathematical information and ideas in English to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Our programme explores a wealth of mathematical ideas with applications to real life, and opens up a wide range of career paths in business, industry, and research.Dr Simon Lloyd Programme director, BSc Applied Mathematics
- Fluid Mechanics and Vector Field Theory
- Ordinary Differential Equations and Control
- Complex Functions
- Numerical Analysis
- Partial Differential Equations
A BSc Applied Mathematics degree provides access to a wide range of rewarding career paths. Graduates are highly valued in the job market and are employed as analysts, modellers, data scientists, statisticians and managers in industries such as finance, information technology, biotechnology, consultancy, and in government.
Many of our graduates choose to continue their studies at postgraduate level in the areas of applied mathematics, pure mathematics, financial engineering, mathematical modelling, data science, machine learning, actuarial science and statistics. An increasing number of our graduates go on to further studies at renowned universities overseas such as Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania in the USA and the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London in the UK.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Join a free Chinese language course
We now offer a free summer Chinese language course for all undergraduate and postgraduate students starting their degree in September 2020.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who apply to XJTLU through the Joint Entrance Examination on the governmental online application system (Education Examination Authority of Guangdong Province) will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 77,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
I really love mathematics and I believe it is fundamental to everything. I am very lucky because at XJTLU all of my lecturers assist me in realising my potential.Rafhanah Ramli Student, BSc Applied Mathematics, Malaysia
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.